Columbia Heights Day is a fun, one day annual festival to celebrate our neighborhood. The festival highlights our local businesses and artists, and it has several activities to entertain people of all ages. Activities this year include: eating contests, local musicians, a dunk tank, face painters, and adult tricycle race, and family field fun day.
For more info: http://www.columbiaheightsday.org/
To volunteer: http://www.columbiaheightsday.org/volunteers/
The North Columbia Heights Civic Association (NCHCA) is putting on a neighborhood carnival in the Trolley Turnaround Park (11th & Monroe St NW) on Saturday, June 21st from 11am-3pm
. There will be carnival games, face painting, food, and a clown for all to enjoy. Bring your kids, families and friends to enjoy a day of community summer fun in Columbia Heights!
We are in need of volunteers to help run this event, so if interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
On Saturday, April 19th, the NCHCA and the Friends of the Trolley Park are putting on two events for the community.
- from 10am-12pm, we are doing a neighborhood clean-up, with all supplies included! Meet at the corner of 11th St NW and Monroe St NW (at the corner of the park) for the start of the clean-up.
- at 11:30am, there is a kids’ easter egg hunt in the Trolley Turnaround Park (11th & Monroe)! All babies and kids up to 9 years old are welcome to participate; have them bring their own Easter baskets for this fun, free event. Must be attended by parent or older sibling. If you want to volunteer to help hide the eggs, come early, as they need volunteers!
We will have our NCHCA April meeting this Thursday, April 10th at 6pm, held at Coffy Cafe (3310 14th St NW). We will discuss and plan out all of our upcoming events, including:
- neighborhood clean-up in April
- community yard sale and bike registration drive in May
- kids neighborhood carnival in June
All Columbia Heights residents are welcome to the meeting – please bring ideas of anything else you envision us doing to help the community!
We have a bunch of great events planned for our community this spring/summer, starting with:
- Ward 1 Council Member Candidate Forum next Monday, March 10th at 7pm in the basement of Meridian Pint. Come on out to hear what candidates Jim Graham and Brianne Nadeau have to say about why they are running and what their plans are for improving our community before the primary on April 1st.
- DC At-Large Council Member Candidates Forum on Tuesday, March 18th at 7pm at the Park Road Community Church (1019 Park Rd NW)
- Neighborhood Clean-Up on Saturday, April 19th
- Community Yard Sale & Bike Registration Drive on Saturday, May 17th
- Neighborhood Carnival in the Trolley Turnaround Park on Saturday, June 14th.
Hope to see you at one of these great events! If interested in volunteering or helping to organize one of them, please contact us at email@example.com
The North Columbia Heights Civic Association (NCHCA) and the friends of the Trolley Turnaround Park are teaming up to give you the Third Annual Columbia Heights Halloween Extravaganza*! Be sure to drop by 11th Street, between Monroe and Kenyon, from 5-7 P.M. on Thursday, October 31st for all the great events including: costume parades for kids and dogs, contests, holiday decorations, Halloween food and drink specials, and giveaways from local businesses. All events are free - bring your kids, dogs, and friends!
Schedule of Events:5:00-5:30: Enchanted Costume Craft Workshop, Bloombars
5:30-5:50: Kids Costume Contest (giveaways), 11th and Monroe Trolley Turnaround Park
6:00-6:15: Dog Costume Parade, Columbia Heights Dog Park
6:00-7:00: Trick or Treating at 11th St Businesses, both sides of 11th between Monroe & Kenyon
The Coupe: giving out candy to kids via table outside; may give a prize to kids for costume contest.
Maple: offering candy to kids via table on sidewalk.
Kangaroo Boxing Club (KBC): offering candy to kids; drink special = pumpkin cocktail on menu for adults.
Meridian Pint: giving out balloons out front to kids; other giveaways.
Red Rocks: handing out goodies to kids; Halloween-themed drink specials for adults.
El Chucho: handing out candy to kids.
Room 11: giving out candy to kids, mini cupcakes to the adults, and warm cranberry-apple cider
Arthur’s: handing out candy to kids.
Claws & Paws: handing out candy to kids.
Bloombars: having enchanted costume crafts workshop.
Wonderland Ballroom: offering candy and a few small toys to kids via decorated table on sidewalk; food and drink specials. Costume contest & DJ for adults later in the night.
*We are in need of volunteers for this event to help make it a success; if interested in volunteering, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
We will have our last NCHCA meeting tonight at The Coupe. We will meet in the couch seating area at 7pm to discuss and plan upcoming Halloween events – our third annual Halloween Extravanagza of kids’ costume contest, costume parade, dog costume parade, and trick or treating up and down 11th St). We need a lot of volunteers to help set-up/decorate the trolley turnaround park; manage the costume contests and awards; and act as crossing guards for kids going trick or treating to 11th St businesses. If interested in volunteering, please contact Brittany at email@example.com
We will also open the floor to any suggestions of things to do for the community during the Fall/Winter months. Hope to see you there!
This Saturday, October 19th the NCHCA is sponsoring a clean-up of the Columbia Heights Dog Park at 11th St and Park Rd, NW. We’ll be sweeping, scooping, raking, and collecting trash from 10am-2pm. Thanks to a grant from ANC1A, we have purchased pet friendly fencing/barrier material so that we can repair the fence perimeter and prevent little dogs (or balls!) from escaping. If the manpower is there, we’ll have topsoil and bark/mulch available to freshen up the tree boxes. All other clean-up materials (bags, gloves, rakes, brooms, shovels) will be provided.
If you would like to volunteer, please email ANC1 Commissioner Pat Flynn at firstname.lastname@example.org
As a thank you, Kangaroo Boxing Club (KBC) is offering a 15% off discounted brunch (or free drink) to all dog park clean-up volunteers.
Columbia Heights Day is tomorrow, Saturday, October 5th! It will take place from 10am – 6pm at Tubman Elementary Field (11th & Kenyon St NW). Highlights for this year include: free yoga, live entertainment, a kid’s zone, DC trivia contest, bocce, momos eating contest, and more! The 11th Street businesses are also shutting down the street to put on Octoberfest, which is occurring in tandem to Columbia Heights Day.
ANC commissioners and our Ward 1 Council member will also be there – feel free to stop by and meet you elected officials! Of course, the NCHCA will have a table there as well, where we will sell our fundraiser Columbia Heights shirts ($15), give out info on our upcoming Halloween kids events, and talk more about the different things we do for the neighborhood.
Finally, the organizers of Columbia Heights Day really need some last minute volunteers to help with different aspects of the event – so if you are interested in a 2 hour time slot, please let them know (link below), and you will get a free DC shirt! See below for more info on the schedule of events and specific groups/vendors that will be in attendance.
Hope to see you Saturday! :)
7 THINGS ABOUT
(the 7th annual)
COLUMBIA HEIGHTS DAY
1. Entertainment: live music, trivia and eating contests, yoga workshop and more.
2. Food trucks: grab grub throughout the day on Kenyon Street.
3. KidsZone: arts and crafts, moon bounce, petting zoo and special performances.
4. Vendors: get to know more about 40+ local businesses, nonprofits, churches and artisans.
5. 11th Street: make your way up the street to visit more restaurants, bars and celebrate Oktoberfest.
6. Bikes: plenty of places to lock up, plus a maintenance clinic.
7. Dogs: your four-legged friend is welcome at the festival.
OK, let’s just make it an even ten …
8. Volunteer: donate just two hours of your time at the festival.
9. Support: stay warm with a new DC flag hoodie.
10. Share: invite friends and family to join you on October 5.
Sponsors & Supporters
DC Sustainable Energy Utility
11th St. Business Alliance
DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities
New for 2013!
Kali Yoga Studio class
Quizmaster of Georgia Avenue hosts trivia
Inaugural mad momos Momo eating contest
The Bike House clinic
Screen printing with The Arcade
Bocce with DC Bocce
Our next neighborhood clean-up will be this upcoming Saturday, August 24th. We will meet at the corner of 13th Street and Kenyon St (in front of Harriet Tubman Elementary School) at 9:30am to start the clean-up. Our targeted area for this event will be from Kenyon St southward between 14th and Sherman, picking up all the trash on the sidewalk/street, by our metro, and in alleys. Trash bags, gloves, and a few brooms/rakes will be provided to volunteers. Please let me know if you have any questions; hope to see you there!