We will have our NCHCA April meeting this Thursday, April 10th at 6pm, held at Coffy Cafe (3310 14th St NW). We will discuss and plan out all of our upcoming events, including:
- neighborhood clean-up in April
- community yard sale and bike registration drive in May
- kids neighborhood carnival in June
All Columbia Heights residents are welcome to the meeting – please bring ideas of anything else you envision us doing to help the community!
We have a bunch of great events planned for our community this spring/summer, starting with:
- Ward 1 Council Member Candidate Forum next Monday, March 10th at 7pm in the basement of Meridian Pint. Come on out to hear what candidates Jim Graham and Brianne Nadeau have to say about why they are running and what their plans are for improving our community before the primary on April 1st.
- DC At-Large Council Member Candidates Forum on Tuesday, March 18th at 7pm at the Park Road Community Church (1019 Park Rd NW)
- Neighborhood Clean-Up on Saturday, April 19th
- Community Yard Sale & Bike Registration Drive on Saturday, May 17th
- Neighborhood Carnival in the Trolley Turnaround Park on Saturday, June 14th.
Hope to see you at one of these great events! If interested in volunteering or helping to organize one of them, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
The North Columbia Heights Civic Association (NCHCA) and the friends of the Trolley Turnaround Park are teaming up to give you the Third Annual Columbia Heights Halloween Extravaganza*! Be sure to drop by 11th Street, between Monroe and Kenyon, from 5-7 P.M. on Thursday, October 31st for all the great events including: costume parades for kids and dogs, contests, holiday decorations, Halloween food and drink specials, and giveaways from local businesses. All events are free - bring your kids, dogs, and friends!
Schedule of Events:5:00-5:30: Enchanted Costume Craft Workshop, Bloombars
5:30-5:50: Kids Costume Contest (giveaways), 11th and Monroe Trolley Turnaround Park
6:00-6:15: Dog Costume Parade, Columbia Heights Dog Park
6:00-7:00: Trick or Treating at 11th St Businesses, both sides of 11th between Monroe & Kenyon
The Coupe: giving out candy to kids via table outside; may give a prize to kids for costume contest.
Maple: offering candy to kids via table on sidewalk.
Kangaroo Boxing Club (KBC): offering candy to kids; drink special = pumpkin cocktail on menu for adults.
Meridian Pint: giving out balloons out front to kids; other giveaways.
Red Rocks: handing out goodies to kids; Halloween-themed drink specials for adults.
El Chucho: handing out candy to kids.
Room 11: giving out candy to kids, mini cupcakes to the adults, and warm cranberry-apple cider
Arthur’s: handing out candy to kids.
Claws & Paws: handing out candy to kids.
Bloombars: having enchanted costume crafts workshop.
Wonderland Ballroom: offering candy and a few small toys to kids via decorated table on sidewalk; food and drink specials. Costume contest & DJ for adults later in the night.
*We are in need of volunteers for this event to help make it a success; if interested in volunteering, please email email@example.com
We will have our last NCHCA meeting tonight at The Coupe. We will meet in the couch seating area at 7pm to discuss and plan upcoming Halloween events – our third annual Halloween Extravanagza of kids’ costume contest, costume parade, dog costume parade, and trick or treating up and down 11th St). We need a lot of volunteers to help set-up/decorate the trolley turnaround park; manage the costume contests and awards; and act as crossing guards for kids going trick or treating to 11th St businesses. If interested in volunteering, please contact Brittany at firstname.lastname@example.org
We will also open the floor to any suggestions of things to do for the community during the Fall/Winter months. Hope to see you there!
This Saturday, October 19th the NCHCA is sponsoring a clean-up of the Columbia Heights Dog Park at 11th St and Park Rd, NW. We’ll be sweeping, scooping, raking, and collecting trash from 10am-2pm. Thanks to a grant from ANC1A, we have purchased pet friendly fencing/barrier material so that we can repair the fence perimeter and prevent little dogs (or balls!) from escaping. If the manpower is there, we’ll have topsoil and bark/mulch available to freshen up the tree boxes. All other clean-up materials (bags, gloves, rakes, brooms, shovels) will be provided.
If you would like to volunteer, please email ANC1 Commissioner Pat Flynn at email@example.com
As a thank you, Kangaroo Boxing Club (KBC) is offering a 15% off discounted brunch (or free drink) to all dog park clean-up volunteers.
Columbia Heights Day is tomorrow, Saturday, October 5th! It will take place from 10am – 6pm at Tubman Elementary Field (11th & Kenyon St NW). Highlights for this year include: free yoga, live entertainment, a kid’s zone, DC trivia contest, bocce, momos eating contest, and more! The 11th Street businesses are also shutting down the street to put on Octoberfest, which is occurring in tandem to Columbia Heights Day.
ANC commissioners and our Ward 1 Council member will also be there – feel free to stop by and meet you elected officials! Of course, the NCHCA will have a table there as well, where we will sell our fundraiser Columbia Heights shirts ($15), give out info on our upcoming Halloween kids events, and talk more about the different things we do for the neighborhood.
Finally, the organizers of Columbia Heights Day really need some last minute volunteers to help with different aspects of the event – so if you are interested in a 2 hour time slot, please let them know (link below), and you will get a free DC shirt! See below for more info on the schedule of events and specific groups/vendors that will be in attendance.
Hope to see you Saturday! :)
7 THINGS ABOUT
(the 7th annual)
COLUMBIA HEIGHTS DAY
1. Entertainment: live music, trivia and eating contests, yoga workshop and more.
2. Food trucks: grab grub throughout the day on Kenyon Street.
3. KidsZone: arts and crafts, moon bounce, petting zoo and special performances.
4. Vendors: get to know more about 40+ local businesses, nonprofits, churches and artisans.
5. 11th Street: make your way up the street to visit more restaurants, bars and celebrate Oktoberfest.
6. Bikes: plenty of places to lock up, plus a maintenance clinic.
7. Dogs: your four-legged friend is welcome at the festival.
OK, let’s just make it an even ten …
8. Volunteer: donate just two hours of your time at the festival.
9. Support: stay warm with a new DC flag hoodie.
10. Share: invite friends and family to join you on October 5.
Sponsors & Supporters
DC Sustainable Energy Utility
11th St. Business Alliance
DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities
New for 2013!
Kali Yoga Studio class
Quizmaster of Georgia Avenue hosts trivia
Inaugural mad momos Momo eating contest
The Bike House clinic
Screen printing with The Arcade
Bocce with DC Bocce
Our next neighborhood clean-up will be this upcoming Saturday, August 24th. We will meet at the corner of 13th Street and Kenyon St (in front of Harriet Tubman Elementary School) at 9:30am to start the clean-up. Our targeted area for this event will be from Kenyon St southward between 14th and Sherman, picking up all the trash on the sidewalk/street, by our metro, and in alleys. Trash bags, gloves, and a few brooms/rakes will be provided to volunteers. Please let me know if you have any questions; hope to see you there!
The North Columbia Heights Civic Association, in partnership with the Friends of the Trolley Turnaround Park, are organizing the Second Annual Columbia Heights Block Party. This free event will occur on Saturday, August 3rd from 12pm-2pm in the Trolley Turnaround Park (11th & Monroe St NW).
Many of the 11th St businesses are participating in the block party by generously donating food from their restaurants, and a portion of the Bohemian Caverns Jazz Orchestra will be performing for this event. So come join your neighbors, new and longtime residents, elected officials, local businesses, and civic organizations to enjoy free local food and live jazz music in celebration of our neighborhood, Columbia Heights!
A few events which you may be interested in attending this week:
- First, there will be the Master Park Planning Meeting for DPR this Thursday, June 20th. It will occur at Raymond Rec Center (3725 10th St NW) from 7pm-9pm.
- Second, our next NCHCA neighborhood clean-up, in partnership with ANC1A, will occur this Saturday, June 22 from 10am-11am. We will meet at the corner of 14th St & Meridian PL NW; all materials will be provided.
Hope to see you there!
Our next North Columbia Heights Civic Association (NCHCA) meeting will be TONIGHT, Monday June 10th from 7pm-10pm in the Trolley Turnaround Park at 11th & Monroe (it will be inside Columbia Heights Coffee if it is raining). This will be the Columbia Heights dog park follow-up meeting where you can learn more about progress made on this issue so far, how to get involved/how to join the Friends of Columbia Heights Dog Park group, and upcoming dog park clean-up events.
Also, please take note of the upcoming NCHCA events:
- Saturday, June 22: next neighborhood clean-up at 14th and Meridian PL
- Saturday, July 27: Columbia Heights Block Party in the Trolley Turnaround Park